At the salon a woman with two kids walked in. One was a toddler and the other a girl, was about five to six years old. They were hardly settled when the little girl demanded food. The woman reached into her bag and brought out a lunch pack of noodle, the little girl ate it all. Two minutes later she demanded biscuits sweet mama! She bought her biscuits. I was beginning to feel hungry myself I dug into my bag and brought out a bar of chocolate. I was snacking on it and noticed the little girl was staring at me intently she was no longer interested in the biscuit, she stared so hard I couldn’t help it, I knew she wanted the chocolate so I offered her what’s left of it. Her mum objected she said “Didi allow Aunty eat, I will buy you chocolate on our way home” hearing those words the girl threw her biscuits so hard on the floor and started crying not the silent kind of cry she was crying out so loud it was disturbing. I watched, her mum was left with no choice she collected the chocolate from me with a pity look and offered it to her little girl. The girl point black rejected it and kept on crying,her mum resorted to pleading for her to stop crying she kept on crying. At that point her mum spanked her. Wow! That was her undoing! The girl cried even louder, the woman was confused
When ever I see a child without a clue about how to behave in public I immediately blame the parent. Manners convey quite a lot of information, kids are never too young to learn manners. Your kids future is not only affected by manners but the parent’s reputation also.
Instill good manners in your children that would become habitual part of their life into adolescent and beyond.
There are five basic manners amongst others every kid should learn:
1. Learn how to say “please”. When making demands they should learn to say please.
2. Learn how to say” thank you” when they receive teach them to say thank you. When they receive assistance they should learn to use the word.
3. Learn how to use the word “excuse me” children are naturally impatient, they should learn not to interrupt grown ups when they are having a conversation. If they need to get someone’s attention right away use the word “excuse me” instead of the incessant tapping and saying mummy mummy.
4. Learn to knock on closed doors and wait to hear if there is a response before entering
5. Learn how to say “sorry” not the kind of sorry they say because they are forced by an angry parent at the heat of the moment, teach them real empathy let them say sorry and mean it.
6. They should learn to seek permission before taking what doesn’t belong to them. Children learn first from home,they would always mirror what adults around them are doing it is imperative to lead by example if we are augmentative, discourteous and impolite there is no way we can expect ur children to be well mannered. “ Good manners would open doors that the best education cannot” Clarence Thomas.
Eve-Dira Couture • Body Wellness • Kids and Morals